An electronic system for which the modules are fixed or put directly onto the PCB surface in a power supply is a surface-mount device or SMD power supply/converter.
There are Surface Mount Regulators in a number of packages including SOT-89, SOT-223, SOT-23 and TO252-3. SMD DC-DC converters can be produced in SOIC-8 with packages available as small as QFN. Linear SMD regulators can have as little as 3 pins but generally have 4 to 6 pins.
As extra inputs or outputs, the additional pins are sometimes used to allow a higher current to operate alongside the SOT-223 which has considerable output.
LDO (low drop output) is used in most modern electronics, for example to improve efficiency, mobiles take advantage of LDOs.
Benefits of choosing an SMD DC-DC Converter over other converters:
- Relatively small parts
- A much greater density of components (components per unit area) and a fair amount of more connections per element
- Elements can be installed on both sides of the circuit board,
- Reduced connection resistance and inductance; thus, fewer unwanted RF signal impacts, stronger and easier to predict high-frequency efficiency
- Better mechanical performance under conditions of vibration and shake
- Narrower radiation loop region (due to smaller package) and smaller lead inductance, greater EMC compatibility (lower radiated emissions)
Working in partnership with leading technology suppliers including Cincon, Artesyn, Minmax and P-Duke we can easily tailor a solution to meet almost every requirement.
Whether you can find what you are looking for or not, please contact us immediately, as we have direct access to product roadmap information and capability to provide bespoke solutions on a project basis. For board mount, low power, standard or ultra-high isolation, if you are looking for 0.25W or 80W we can provide a solution that is right for your application.
For unrivalled technical and commercial engineering support please contact us today on 01480 412233 to see how we can help you find the perfect power conversion solution.